19 January 2015

Vegan chia seed chocolate mousse


This recipe is called The Best Vegan Chocolate Mousse. It's definitely one of the best I've tried, it's very rich and creamy with just a little airiness. So many vegan mousse recipes taste more like chocolate custard, but this one reminded me of the chocolate mousse my mom makes.

The only problem is that the chia seed texture gets in the way of the smooth mousse texture a little bit. I don't mind the crunchy chia seeds, but this recipe would really have been perfect if it was completely smooth. The chia seeds are what thickens up the mixture though, so they are a vital ingredient. There are so many recipes out there that I'm sure I'll find the perfect one eventually.

Update: Since making this mousse I have learnt that ground chia seeds have the same thickening properties as the whole seeds, so that change will make this the best chocolate mousse in my opinion.