16 October 2014

Blog Action Day 2014: Inequality


Image by Paul Filitchkin via Snapwire Snaps

Today is Blog Action Day again and the topic this year is Inequality. I wasn't planning on taking part. There is so much inequality in the world and I had no idea what to say about it and I honestly don't see most of it ever being resolved.

But today I decided to share a little bit about something close to my heart that I think we can do something about. It's not something I thought about for most of my life and even when confronted with it directly I didn't agree until a few short years ago. I don't mention serious issues on here much, but I think today is the right day.

What I want to talk to you about is animal inequality. The way we decide that some animals are friends or part of our families and others are food. The invisible line we create, or are taught, that is different for everyone.

I have eaten meat for most of my life and I used to say that I could never be vegetarian. I have always loved cows, but I never saw them in the same way that I look at my dogs. It was always different. But a few years ago that started to change. It took me a very long time to see things differently and to then actively change what I did about it, but it happened.

Eventually I realised that I don't want to eat animals any more and I stopped. It wasn't as difficult as I had expected it to be. I do sometimes still miss the taste of meat, but when I think about what it is, it's not difficult to resist those cravings at all. When I see a cow's face now, it feels the same as looking at my dog.

I know this is a touchy subject and food is very sentimental to most people, but I don't intend this post to be preachy or judgemental at all. I simply want to share my thoughts on what I eat and why I eat it.




If you want to read more posts about bloggers' views on all types of inequality, you can search the hastags #BAD2014, #Inequality, #BlogActionDay and #BlogAction on social media.