27 May 2014

Vegan french toast

Comment here    
categories: , ,

I made vegan french toast for the first time today. I had trouble finding a suitable recipe because we eat it with sweet and savoury things in South Africa and most of the recipes I saw weren't neutral. I decided to try my own basic version. I can't buy affordable silken tofu in my town and bananas are sweet, so I decided to take my inspiration from recipes using chickpea flour. I'm always surprised by the eggy texture of dishes made with chickpea flour.

The other ingredient that makes this recipe work with so few ingredients is the kala namak. This salt tastes like eggs and is one of the best ingredients for a vegan to have in stock. I found mine at my local health food shop, but you can also order it online in South Africa here.


Vegan French toast recipe
Ingredients
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup non dairy milk
1 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
1 teaspoon oil
6 large slices of bread


Method
Whisk all the ingredients except for the bread in a bowl.
Dip the bread slices in the mixture and fry in a pan with some oil on a medium high heat.
Flip when the bread browns and there are no wet pieces.
Fry other side until brown and keep warm until all the slices are done.


If I knew easy it would be, I would've made this ages ago. It's important to make sure there are no wet pieces because raw chickpea flour tastes horrible. This is why I didn't soak the bread and just dipped it quickly to coat it.

Please share a photo with me if you decide to try this recipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)