25 February 2014

Man'oushe Lebanese restaurant

Comment here    
categories: ,

We discovered this wonderful restaurant in Stellenbosch a few weeks ago. We watched the new The Hobbit movie and then walked around looking for a nice place to eat and hoping for some interesting vegan options. We couldn't have asked for a better meal. It can be tricky going to new restaurants as a vegan because sadly so many restaurants in South Africa don't even have any vegetarian options on their menu. It's very easy to end up with a boring, bland meal. At many restaurants no meat equals no flavour. Not Man'oushe.

They had several vegan options and even more vegetarian options. We ordered four dishes to share. Unfortunately I can't remember the names and there's no website to check, but I'll do my best. I wish I'd taken more and better photos for you, but this is too good not to share even with minimal info and cellphone photos.

At the back is a flat bread with herbs. It was my favourite dish, the herbs were slightly sweet and the bread had a perfect soft/crispy balance. In the middle is the stuffed vine leaves, the best I've ever had. Served with fresh tomato wedges, carrots and lemons. I can't remember what they are called. The dish in the front is a salad with roast potatoes and beetroot. It was delicious, but very spicy.


This is a flatbread sandwich, called a man'oushe. It's served with tomatoes and olives. There are many different filling options, but I decided on the basic Za'atar Man'oushe. I discovered za'atar last year and this was the first time I tried a different mix. The one I make and love is very thyme heavy, but this one had more sumac. It was good, but a bit overpowering for me. This is purely a personal taste issue. Next time I'll try one of the other fillings.


We ordered two starters and two mains, but everything was big enough to serve as a main meal and we couldn't even finish half of it. Next time we'll order a bit less so that we can also try some of the delicious sounding desserts. I'm particularly curious about the man'oushe with sesame seed paste.

Definitely stop by here if you're looking for delicious and affordable food in Stellenbosch.
You can find Man'oushe at 14 Andringa Street in Stellenbosch and call them at 021 886 7545.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)