09 January 2014

Homemade deodorant


categories: ,

I know making your own deodorant might seem a bit kooky, but this works better than anything I've used before. I've used many different types of deodorants and antiperspirants over the years, but this is the first one I've used that makes me feel confident even on really hot days. With other deodorants I get self-conscious and scared of lifting my arms on hot days, but with this I know I smell good. It's also very easy to make, so if you've never made your own beauty products this is a great start.

I ran out of deodorant a few months ago and somehow never got around to making more. Finding a cute jar to keep it in and the hot weather finally encouraged me to make a new batch and I took a few photos to share with you.



Homemade deodorant

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp corn starch (or arrowroot powder)
  • 2 tbsp baking soda
  • essential oil (optional)

You also need:

  • a small bowl for mixing
  • spoon for mixing
  • measuring cups and spoons
  • small container for deodorant
Directions

If it's cold, the coconut oil will be solid. You can place it in the sun, in hot water or in the microwave for a few minutes to melt. Then measure out all the ingredients and mix together. You don't need to add essential oils, I didn't use any with my first batch. This time I used 4 drops each lavender, rose and sandalwood oil and 7 drops orange oil. You can keep the deodorant in a small plastic container or jar. To use, just rub some onto your armpits. So simple.



If it's too hard to use, just put it in hot water for a few minutes. During winter I put it the bath or shower with me so it's ready when I get out. I've read that some people have a reaction to baking powder, so it might not work for everyone. I've been using this recipe for over a year and haven't had any problems.

Do you make any of your own beauty products?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...