11 September 2013

Vegan Thai "chicken" and coconut soup

I've been making this soup regularly the last few weeks. It's so quick to make, but tastes like something special and it would be perfect to make for unexpected guests. I adapted the recipe from our Thai recipe book to make it vegan and use ingredients I can find.




Vegan Thai "chicken" and coconut soup
Adapted from Fresh Thai recipe book

Ingredients
  • 200ml light coconut milk
  • 200ml chicken flavour stock 
  • Half a lemongrass stalk, chopped
  • 1 t minced galangal or ginger
  • 2 small red chillies, chopped
  • 15 pepper peppercorns
  • 5 Thai lime leaves, stalks removed
  • 1 T lime/lemon juice
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Method

1. Put all the ingredients in a pot and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
2. Remove the lime leaves if you want to.

Notes
We use a vegan chicken flavour stock powder from Ina Paarman. You can use vegetable stock if you can't find vegan chicken stock. You can use real chicken stock too if you aren't vegetarian.
I used dried galangal in the past, but now I use pickled galangal. Fresh would be better if you can find it. Use ginger if you can't find galangal.
Martinus told me recently that he thinks there's too much pepper in this soup, so I'll be using less next time.
I can only get dried Thai lime leaves in South Africa, but use fresh if you can.
I'd usually use lime juice in a Thai recipe, but since we have a lemon tree I've been using lemon juice instead.
You can change the recipe to suit your taste, but don't leave out the tomato, it's very important for the taste.




The original recipe has chicken strips in, so you can try adding vegetarian "chicken" strips if you want. Sometimes I add fried mushrooms and tofu and lately we've been eating this with rice for a more substantial meal. This has been my go to recipe when I want to make a quick lunch. We eat Thai food year round, but I especially crave it in summer because the heat reminds me of Thailand.

What do you make when you don't have much cooking time?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...