06 September 2013

Seagulls at the Waterfront


I took these photos back in July, but only shared a few on Instagram. Martinus was working at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town and I went along. I went to see a movie later, but all the shops were still closed early in the morning so I went outside to watch the sunrise over the ocean.





I'd read an article about backlit photography that week, so I experimented for a while. I really like these two photos.




I spotted a lot of seagulls further along the path and when I went closer I saw that someone had fed two stray cats and that's why the seagulls were hanging around there. The cats didn't seem to care at all and the seagulls concentrated on the food too much to care about me taking all these photos.






In the background you can see the stadium that was built for the 2010 Soccer World Cup that was held in South Africa. When the cats had enough, the seagulls swooped in and finished the food in about two minutes.



It was an amazing experience to be so close to all these birds. It felt like I watched them for ages, but according to the times on my photos it was only 20 minutes.


If you're in South Africa, make sure to enter the body scrub giveaway before it ends on Monday.