26 August 2013

Vegan "cream cheese" icing (No Tofutti needed)

Comment here    
categories: , ,


I've only had red velvet cake about 3 times in my life and it always had cream cheese icing. I know it traditionally had a cooked icing, but cream cheese icing is delicious. I made vegan red velvet cake this weekend and needed a cream cheese icing recipe that doesn't include Tofutti because it's not available in South Africa. I only found one and it needs to rest for 12 hours after you've made it, so I decided to use it as inspiration and create my own version. I also haven't eaten cream cheese icing very often, so I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it's a delicious tangy icing either way.

Cashew "cream cheese" icing (Inspired by this recipe)

Ingredients

3/4 cup cashews
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t apple cider vinegar
1 t oil 
1 t soy milk
 1 t vanilla
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (optional)

t = teasoon (5ml)
T = tablespoon (15ml)

Method

1. Soak the cashews overnight or at least two hours. If you don't have time to soak them, you can still use them, but the results will be more grainy.

2. Blend the cashews and liquids until smooth. Mix in the icing sugar and vanilla seeds.

Notes

I used a butter flavour oil, but you can use any neutral oil or even leave it out.
You can use any non-dairy milk you like or even water. Coconut milk is delicious in icing.
This made enough for a double layer cake, but if you like a lot of icing you should double the recipe.

I added some chocolate and vanilla sprinkles on top. I won't be buying sprinkles again because they contain palm oil, but I saw a tutorial to make them yourself so I'll try that when we run out.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)