24 July 2013

Masala Dosa

We recently visited the Indian restaurant, Masala Dosa in Cape Town. What a great experience. This was our first visit and I'm looking forward to many future visits. Martinus had a vegan iced chai and I had the homemade lemon and mint iced tea. I was expecting a regular lemon iced tea with some mint, but this was the best iced tea I've ever had. It was perfect.


The restaurant is beautifully decorated and there's intricate details all around.






The bathroom is hot pink!


We ordered two different dishes to share. This is the traditional masala dosa and what the restaurant was named after. Dosa is a rice and lentil crêpe that originates from the southern part of india. It is naturally wheat-free, fat-free and rich in protein. It is traditionally served with a potato curry and accompanied with coconut chutney and sambar. They also have chickpea, bean, chicken and lamb options.

The dosa is very thin although it's gigantic. It's a good option for lunch if you don't want too much food. We probably won't order it again since we don't visit Cape Town that often and prefer indulging a bit when we do.


We also ordered the thali which is small servings of various curries served with rice, pappadum and puri. I've never had puri before and loved it. But how could I not love fried bread? At first I thought the servings were quite small, but we hard a difficult time finishing everything. Next time we'll only get one thali to share and one of the delicious sounding starters. I love platters like this because you get to try so many different flavours in one meal. Everything was absolutely delicious. My favourite was the coriander chutney and Martinus' was the chana (chickpea curry).


They have a Chef's Table menu that is only offered on Thursday and Saturday evenings and they have limited space for that. Everything on the menu looks delicious and very innovative.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)