28 April 2013

Mother's Day Veggie Burgers

Comment here    
categories: , ,
My birthday is two days after Mother's Day this year and my mom's birthday is two days after mine. I think the best Mother's Day present as an adult is the same as when you were a child, your time and love. Actually I think it means even more as an adult to take some time to dedicate to your mom. One of the best home made gifts in my opinion is a home-cooked meal. What better than a present you get to eat? And this time it won't be your mom doing the cooking and cleaning. You never realise how much work it all is until you have your own house, do you?

Since I live on the other side of the country as my parents, I won't be able to do that this year. I'm sharing what I would've liked to do for anyone that needs some inspiration. These veggie burger are 100% home made, I even baked the rolls. I made sweet potato burgers, but if you want to try something else, look at the Kitchn's list of 10 Unique Veggie Burgers.

This is the first time I tried making rolls and they are delicious. I used this recipe. I've made bread before, but never anything as soft as this. At first I thought they weren't ready, but the rolls really are that soft. I used brown bread flour and I replaced the egg with 1 tablespoon flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water. I made 10 rolls.


We're moving soon, so I've been putting off grocery shopping. That means that I didn't have a lot of beans to choose from and ended up with one can of borlotti beans and one of baked beans in chilli sauce. The baked beans worked, but I wouldn't use them again. I needed to add a lot of extra flour to get the mixture firm enough to shape. I used half a cup of wheat flour, chickpea flour and oats each.


I left out the tahini and maple syrup. The mixture was still pretty soft, but I managed to shape the patties a bit better after coating them in the breadcrumbs. So I dropped spoonfuls of the mixture into the crumbs, rolled them around, shaped them on a plate and then slid them into the pan.


And they turned out so beautifully golden and delicious. I had mine with mustard, sweet chilli sauce, yellow cherry tomatoes and rocket. The slight sweetness and the chilli were a perfect combination.




A little tomato heart for my mom.


What are you planning for Mother's Day?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)