14 January 2013

30 days, 30 bags project: Day 1

For the next 30 days I'm going to make one bag every day to get into the habit of sewing daily again. I want to spend more time on my Etsy shop this year and I think this is a good way to kick start the year. I've been planning it since last year and decided to start after all our visitors have left so there wouldn't be any distractions. The last day will be the day before Valentine's Day, so this is my Valentine's present to myself.


I had so many ideas while I was picking out fabric this morning, but I decided to start with a simple clutch bag. I found this beautiful red faux suede and I wanted to use it as an inset on the flap. I started sewing, but then I realised that the red dye from the suede was bleeding onto the other fabric when I ironed it. So I had to change my plan. Here's what I ended up making.


I kept the pretty blue and red floral fabric for the lining, so I wanted to give a glimpse of those colours on the outside. I found this great fabric with a large red floral pattern that complements the lining so well. My mom gave me the grosgrain ribbon with the writing and this is the first time I used it.


I positioned the strap on the back instead of on the sides so that the bag will lie flat.


I love the combination of different patterns. I usually keep the lining simple because I don't want to waste a pretty pattern on the inside of a bag, but it's so nice to open it and see something beautiful.

I also want to improve my photos this year, but for this project I'm just going to take photos as soon as I'm done and that will often be late at night. At the end of the project I'll take better photos of all the bags and add them to my Etsy shop.

Welcome to my project. I hope you'll visit again to see more of my bags.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...