23 November 2012

Kaju barfi (Cashew candy squares)

3 comments    
categories: , , ,
My wonderful boyfriend, Martinus, made three different types of burfi for us a while back. Unfortunately I struggled to get good photos and by the time I wanted to try again, we'd already eaten most of them. I decided to make us some more this weekend, but I only made one variety. Burfi is a type of Indian sweet and there are many different variations. This one uses cashews and is flavoured with cardamom. The Kaju barfi recipe is from Monsoon Spice. It was very easy to make and is super delicious.


Cashew powder.

I got impatient while waiting for the sugar mixture to thicken, so I turned up the heat. I mixed it constantly to make sure it didn't burn.

The mixture turned into a thick paste as soon as I added the cashews. I mixed it thoroughly to get rid of any clumps and then scooped it out. 
I used the back of a spoon to smooth it out.

You should store the burfi in an airtight container, but since I knew we'd eat it very soon, I put it in this pretty glass bowl with a lid. I got it from my mom.


I had burfi for the first time in Brick Lane in London. You can buy it in some places in South Africa, but it's quite rare and expensive and I'm so happy that we can make it ourselves now.



3 comments:

  1. When I saw the cashew powder I immediately believed that I will love burfi! This is my first time to encounter this recipe.

    By the way, if it's not too much to ask may I invite you to join my humble giveaway http://www.dianewantstowrite.blogspot.com/2012/11/for-your-eyes-only-its-time-for-giveaway.html

    It would really make me happy if you will visit and join me :)

    Happy weekend Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. You should really try it, it's so delicious and much easier to make than I thought it would be.

      I just entered your giveaway, I'd love an extra pair of glasses.

      Have a good weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. These look seriously yummy! I am really hungry now...! :)
    http://shopaholiconashoestring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...