14 September 2012

Vegan meatballs

12 comments    
categories: , , ,
Another one of my favourite new sites for recipes is the VegNews Magazine website. We had some leftover brown rice from the previous night, so I decided to try their vegan meatballs with some corn tacos for lunch.

The main ingredients for these is rice and walnuts. I didn't have enough walnuts, so I added cashews and sunflower seeds. I still can't believe how much they look like real meat.


Here's my flavoured rice and nut mixture.


We don't have a food processor, so getting everything chopped in the blender took a little longer. I ended up scooping out the onions to blend separately, but next time I'll just chop them into smaller pieces and not blend them at all. We really enjoyed the bits of onion, so I'll use two onions instead of one next time. They also add more moisture to the meatballs.


Here they are before baking. I made them quite big, so I got out 10 and a half.


Here they are after baking. The outer layer was very crunchy. I think these would also be very nice if they're cooked in some sauce after baking to soften the shell slightly.


I spread tahini and salsa inside the tacos and added lettuce and sliced cherry tomatoes.


I will definitely make these again. They are delicious and could be used in so many different ways. This is an easy way to add a different texture to a vegan or vegetarian meal with simple ingredients.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I want some more, they were so good :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not vegan, but they look delicious! Maybe we should make it when you come visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we should, they're so easy to make and really good.

      Delete
  3. Looks tasty! I've also tried making little meat balls from buckwheat and carrots. They turned out great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to find buckwheat yet, I finally found some buckwheat flour a while back and I used it in my peanut butter muffins last week. I really like the flavour.

      Delete
  4. Yummy!! I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, they're delicious.

      Delete
  5. Vegan meatballs is such an oxymoron! I had to check this recipe out. They really do look like meat. Can't wait to see how much they taste like meat too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know, but veggie balls is just too funny :D

      Delete
  6. They do look like real meat and I bet they taste delicious! I would love to try this recipe, not because I'm vegan, but I just LOVE nuts! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a new way to eat nuts :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...