07 September 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins (Vegan and Gluten free)

2 comments    
categories: , , ,
I love reading food blogs to get new ideas for delicious, but healthy food. One of the newest ones I found is called Happy. Healthy. Life. There's so many amazing looking vegan recipes that I need to try. After seeing the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins in today's newsletter, I couldn't stop thinking about it.


It ended up being a big experiment, since I didn't have some of the ingredients and I was running low on regular flour, so I made quite a few substitutions. I really don't know much about using gluten free flour and how to substitute it in recipes, but these muffins are really good. I thought that I might end up with hard cookies, but these are just perfect. Please see the original recipe and then come back to see what I did.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour replaced with 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/4 tapioca flour and one tablespoon soy lecithin. I wanted to add guar gum, but I couldn't find it. Soy lecithin doesn't have the same purpose as guar gum or xanthan gum (act as substitutes for gluten in gluten free baking), but it is supposed to improve the texture of dough, so I added it. My boyfriend didn't even realise that these were gluten free until I told him.


Here you can see the great texture I managed to get with the gluten free flour.

3/4 cup agave syrup replaced with 1/2 muscovado sugar. I don't have any agave syrup and I decided to use muscovado sugar because it has a higher moisture content than regular sugar. I used a little less, because we always feel that baked goods could have had less sugar than specified in the recipe and I wanted to make it slightly healthier.

2-3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil replaced with 7 Tbsp light coconut milk. I don't have any coconut oil and I had an open can of coconut milk. I should probably have used a different type of oil, but it worked. I added a little more to make up for not using a liquid sweetener.



accidentally added the chocolate chips to the peanut butter mixture, so they melted and my muffins are darker now. I added 1/4 cup extra chocolate chips so that there would still be a few chewy bits.

Thank you so much for this great recipe Kathy. Next time I'll try the original version to compare it with this one.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to have a go at this recipe!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate them so quickly, I need to make more :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...