02 May 2012

Easy gluten free crackers

2 comments    
categories: , , ,


We're trying to eat less wheat, so I bought some gluten free baking supplies to try out. I bought the 3 cheapest flours, guar gum and soy lecithin. The guar gum and lecithin are used to make the dough more sticky and acts like gluten to trap air and help the dough rise. I didn't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes I found online, so I decided to make up my own. I always use recipes for baking because it's such an exact science, so I'm very proud of myself for this recipe.


Our blender came with a small spice mill that worked very well to get the cashews and seeds fine, but you could also use a food processor or try a regular blender. If you have a pestle and mortar, that might also work. If you have nothing else, put them into a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or even the bottom of  jar or mug. It won't be as fine, but it should still work.


Ingredients:
  • 1/3c Tapioca flour
  • 1/3c Potato flour
  • 1/3c Rice flour
  • 1/2c Cashew nuts
  • 1/2c Flax seeds - 2 T (I put the chia seeds into a 1/2 c measuring cup and filled it with flax seeds)
  • 2 T Chia seeds
  • 1/8c Olive Oil
  • 1/4c Water
  • 1 t Baking powder
  • 1 t Seasoning (I used oregano, garlic flakes, black pepper and Sweet Piquante Pepper and Garlic Seasoning from Peppadew)
  • 1/2 t Guar gum
  • 1/2 t Salt
Method:
  • Blend, process or crush the cashew nuts and seeds to a fine powder.
  • Mix with the 3 flours, baking powder, guar gum, salt and your choice of seasoning.
  • Mix in the olive oil and water with a spoon.
  • Use your hands to make sure all the dry ingredients are combined and add some more water if the dough is too crumbly to stick together.
  • Roll or press the dough into a 5mm layer on a lined baking tray. I got a ±25cm (10 inch) square.
  •  Bake for 15 minutes at 200°C (392°F). The edges will just start to brown.
  • Remove from oven and cut while hot.
  • Let cool and eat.

    My boyfriend made some guacamole for us. He put guacamole, goat's milk feta, pickled ginger, spring onions and olives on his crackers. I only had the guacamole and feta with mine. Can you see my reflection on the olive?

    2 comments:

    Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)