06 April 2012

Vegan hot cross buns

4 comments    
categories: , , ,


Some delicious home-made hot cross buns using this recipe with a some small changes.
  • I don't like too much citrus peel in them, so I only used the rind of one lime.
  • Instead of mixed spice I used Pimento Allspice from Robertsons. The bottle says the Pimento berry has the warm spicy flavours of Cloves, Cinnamon and Nutmeg with a sweet succulent aroma.
  • I used a mix of currants, sultanas and raisins and doubled the quantity.
  • I only brushed the glaze on after baking the buns
  • I just cut the crosses into the dough before baking.


The dough didn't rise as much the second time, so the buns are smaller than I thought they would be. The outside was a little dry, but that was my fault. I put the buns in the warming oven to rise after and it dried the dough. I should have covered it like I did the first time.

I'll definitely make this recipe again.


4 comments:

  1. i will have to give this a try! happy Easter :) Hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration!

    oh, n I'm also hosting a rad one of a kind giveaway that is surely to rock your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now you have me hungry! It looks so yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were more like hot cross cookies than buns by the next day, but still so good. Maybe next time I'll get them 100% right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, these look so. darn. good. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...