12 November 2011

Brass light

Comment here    
categories: ,
I bought this brass light at a flea market years ago. It was only R6. It has been standing around waiting for me to fix it and I finally did it this week. I can't remember exactly what the lady at the flea market told me it used to be, but I think it was something to do with a cannon.


This is what the inside looked like before I started, full of dust and cobwebs. I started by removing the light bulb and it's cover. I really like this metal shell thing and I hope I can find something to do with it. I tried to remove the metal rod, because I wanted to put the new light bulb at the bottom of the tube, but I couldn't get it loose. So then I had to figure out a way to attach the new lamp holder at the top of this tube. I was going to use cardboard, but then I discovered that an upside down yoghurt tub lid fits on it perfectly.


I covered the lid with fabric. I just used wood glue, folded it over and kept it in place with clothes pegs until the glue dried. 



I also glued some fabric on the inside to cover the edges of the striped fabric. At first when I plugged the light in, nothing happened. It turned out that I'd wired the plug wrong, despite the very clear diagram that came with it.


I have no idea where this switch came from, but I know I've been keeping it for something for a very long time. I was really scared that I'd be electrocuted when I switched it on, but it worked. I had to do a lot of searching on google to find out how to wire it. It took a while to find instructions I understand, I don't remember any of this from school.


The very professionally taped up bottom.


Ta-da! After years and years of standing in the corner this is finally a light again.


It's not as bright as this in reality. I have a new light and I wasn't electrocuted, a very good week :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...