20 September 2011

Labneh and pizza

Comment here    
categories: ,
We bought some Labneh balls at one of the Hermanus markets this weekend. It was incredible delicious. I remembered reading once that is was very easy to make so I looked it up when I got home. It's just plain salted yoghurt that's strained to remove the whey. We'd also bought yoghurt from the same stall so I immediately started making some Labneh. There are many recipes on the internet. I used two cups yoghurt with about a half teaspoon of salt. The mixture is then drained through muslin cloth or even a few sheets of paper towels. We have a muslin bag that is used to make nut milks, so it was very easy. I placed the bag in a sieve over a bowl and left it in the fridge for two days. It can be used after one day, but I didn't need it that soon.







I shaped the Labneh into balls and rolled them in a spice/herb mixture of my own:

- Mixed Italian herbs
- Sesame seeds
- Paprika
- Chilli flakes

I won't add the Chilli flakes next time. I also added a tiny bit of olive oil.







We used these on pizza, made from the same bread recipe I used the other day. I rolled it to about 1cm thickness and it worked very well.


Here's a close-up of the Labneh that has been broken into pieces again for the pizza.


The cooked avocado doesn't look very good here, but it was a delicious pizza. 


I baked a chocolate cake today and will post photos tomorrow after I have iced it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...