21 September 2011

Flowers and cake

Comment here    
categories: , , , ,


We went to the Caledon Wildflower Show last weekend. I took close to a hundred photos, so I'll only add a few of the most interesting ones here.


I love proteas.








These ones look so much like little people to me: 



 We bought stone ground cake flour from the Bio-Wheat stall and I baked a cake yesterday using the easy recipe on the back of the bag. Here it is:

Bio-Wheat "Eezy-Peezy" Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
  • 750ml (3 cups) Bio-Wheat Cake flour
  • 20ml (4 tsp) baking powder
  • 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
  • 80ml cocoa
  • Pinch of salt
  • 500ml (2 cups) sugar
  • 250ml (1 cup) oil
  • 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
  • 50ml vinegar
  • 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
The owner told us his wife only uses 1.5 cups of sugar, so I used less too.

Method
  • Sift dry ingredients together.
  • Mix liquids together and pour slowly into dry ingredients.
  • Whisk mixture until smooth.
  • Pour into greased cake pan.
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and cool.
  • Decorate to taste
This is a very quick and easy recipe and it's even vegan. I made icing by melting dark chocolate, coconut cream and cocoa butter. I then added some whisked egg-replacer. I wanted to try using a piping bag to decorate it, but I only had enough icing to cover it, so I just sprinkled some almonds on top.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you! (Don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away, it has to be approved by me before going onto the site to avoid spam messages)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...